Saturday, April 20, 2019

The biggest mistake in my carpentry career

When I started as a furniture manufacturer, one of the people I went to seek advice and guidance was a furniture manufacturer called Alan Peters. Alan held a wonderful workshop in Kentisbeare, less than an hour from where I am and where I work. When I first saw Allen, I tried to figure out how to do this in London, he has what I want. He has a studio in the countryside, he has two outstanding manufacturers, he has a job market and is known as a furniture manufacturer of modern furniture quality and integrity. And all this I want.

When I first saw Allen, I went to the one-week course and he ran in the summer. During the summer of his staff vacation, he invited us four or five people to enter his studio. He prepared the materials for us, we made a small cabinet door and a drawer. First of all, I was amazed at how much success we achieved in such a reliable and short time. Later I thought it was a professional seminar rather than a real teaching seminar. Allen is used to improving speed and efficiency in his production, he has done it himself, and he has expectations for others.

I remember that the week was the pain of the royal family. I was the first to tickle at the door of Allen's studio at seven o'clock in the morning, and the last one was at the lock time. I saw the exhaustion in his eyes, but I continued to pump. I have a person in front of me who knows everything I don't have, I want to know every syllable of that knowledge.

I can say that Allen is patient and kind, especially the one he feels worth working hard. But to be honest, he may be tempered and grumpy. He didn't have much time to do anything, telling me more than once, "Stop it, cut it and leave it." But he left a big impression on the speed and ability of hand tools. This man knows how to make and build them quickly. He doesn't need a machine to cut straight lines like I do, he can work in the silence of the workbench without screaming the air from the machine and the dust ruining his day. He hated the router screaming on the bench, which obviously upset him.

Allen Peters taught me that week, and occasionally worked with me, I know most about the important things about woodworking. But one thing I haven't heard is his advice on wood. Allen Peters has different kinds of hardwood stacking and stacking. He allocates funds, time and energy to the resource because, like me, he doesn't know if he will be at the next cathedral door or jewelry box. I saw this time and money investment and thought that I would not do it. When I need it, I will be smart and buy kiln dry materials. When I knew I needed a 12-foot gray board for the cathedral door, I would buy them.

Big mistake Allen. Due to the accumulation of resources in his air-dried material, you always have hand oak cuts like hard cheese and ash that will complete the plane from the blade. My mistake is to condemn my manufacturer for using materials that were killed during the drying process. The kiln is dry, you have to fight with it, you finally get there but it is a battle. If you just approach it correctly with sharp edge knowledge and respect, it won't give you dry results.




Orignal From: The biggest mistake in my carpentry career

No comments:

Post a Comment